Saturday, March 29, 2014

Teaching "The Family is of God" with a mini book

I put together this mini book for "The Family is of God" for a primary activity back in January. I love sharing mini books. The kids get such a kick out of it!You can print it out below to teach them the song.



I shared a mini book for the first time back in March 2012, so rather than then re-post the instructions on how to fold the mini book, you can view the instruction from the first mini-book I ever shared on my blog, here.

Since those instructions are for a different book though, I thought I'd at least include this picture so you can double-check your folds ... it's super easy but might seem a little confusing for your first book that you fold.


Here's where you would place the cuts on the sheet:


Make sure to fold a few extra mini books because your sunbeams and CTR 4 children will immediately start trying to take the book apart, then won't know how to get them back together, ha ha. This way, you can teach fluidly and switch out books on them if this happens before their primary teacher realizes what's happening. It's cute and funny, and not a big deal, but it's best to be prepared.

There are two ways to get this mini-book:

1. Download it here for a PDF (higher quality image).

2. Or you can save it from below:
(To print it, just right-click on the image below to save it to your computer first, then print the file you have saved to your computer. You have to save this file to your computer first or it won't print out correctly. If you absolutely can't get this to print, send me your email address and I'll email the file to you ... but try to pull the file from below first to ensure speedy access to this mini book.)



Ideas on teaching with this book
Since I originally made this book for an activity in January, I included four colored circles at the top. These circles perfectly fit the little round accomplishment stickers you can find in any sticker aisle. You can just ignore the circles, or you can put fun motivators in there, and have them earn their stickers. For instance, give each teacher a sticker pad. Have the children follow along with the pictures as you go over the first line. Sing the first line with them several times. Then ask a child to recite the first line without looking at their book. They earn their first sticker. Now you don't have time to do this with every child, but you can ask the teachers to listen to their children and award them their sticker.

The second sticker can be earned by answering a question correctly, e.g., "In the second line of the son, why did our Father in Heaven send us to earth, through birth?" etc. ...

9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your talent!! I was just trying to come up with an idea for a book somehow and then found this. I have tried saving it multiple times to my computer and it looks okay but then when I print it, it keeps coming out with the words and pictures funny. Any ideas? I'm not very tech savvy... or would you mind emailing it to me directly? Thank you again for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was able to email it to myself using google and it worked! So thank you one last time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I'm so glad you figured it out! I'm happy to send you another copy if you have additional problems later.

      Delete
  3. Love the mini book, but I can't seem to print a full size version on a full page. It comes up as half of a page. What can I do?
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      I added another way to download the full size version that I think will work better for you. See #1 in the post for "two ways to get this mini-book." Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Could you email me? I can't seem to get this to print full size
    jmewhitesides@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. SOOOO cute and so clever and darling! Thank you for sharing! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete