Friday, August 9, 2019

Romans 1-6 - Trials and Patience (Section at the end for children/music)

For those studying the New Testament this year alongside Come Follow Me: For Individuals and Families, this week's study is Romans 1-6. I'll be teaching about the book of Romans in a couple of weeks so for now, I'm focusing on my reaction as I read these set of scriptures.

The Pattern of the New Testament
I have been fascinated with the way the different books of the Bible roll together. This is obviously too succinct of a description to do it justice but I would classify my experience as:

  • Section 1: The Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John): Jesus teaches in parables.  He also taught by example and how he lived his life, plus the experiences of his 12 disciples. Trying to learn the parables through listening to his audience try (and sometimes fail) to understand them is incredibly insightful.
  • Section: 2: Acts (The Acts of the Apostles): It's the forming of a team! Just like some of my favorite recent movies about the Avengers, The Guardians of the Galaxy, etc, a rag tag team of individuals with their own strengths and flaws come together and form a powerhouse of good. That's where we meet Saul who became Paul, who plays a pivotal role in later books in the New Testament.
  • Section 3: Romans: Paul teaches us. Suddenly, I feel like I'm at General Conference. I'm listening to a leader try to knock some sense into me because he wants me to have the best life I can by blessing me with guidelines, trying to help me understand the power of the gospel, and sometimes send some stern admonishments. 

To distill this down even further, it's:
Parables -> A serge of missionary work -> Paul preaches

Again, obviously, it's way deeper and more energizing than that, but I'm speaking in terms of overall patterns as I study the scriptures.

What Paul Taught Me this Week
First, it was helpful to read the Come Follow Me lesson this week and understand that Paul wrote many of the epistles to Saints in the church that comprise the New Testament, and that Romans was actually written toward the end of his journey. Think of our beloved President Nelson. He's a very wise man but his wisdom has only grown, and we rely on his latest lessons even more so than things he taught 20 years ago, though of course, we listen to that advice, too!

Second, I went into the scripture study thinking about some frustrating things that I was dealing with at work. I love my job and what I do, and have great managers and colleagues - though like these wonderful disciples and leaders, they (and I) are not perfect. I was recently put into a very stressful situation at work by leaders that trust me to be able to navigate the rough waters but it felt (feels) like an almost impossible situation. I began reading Romans with this situation in the back of my mind, and some hope that the scriptures would give me answers and comfort.

After reading through Romans 1-4, this is what jumped out at me when I reached Romans 5:3-5:

"And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope; And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost, which is given unto us."

I tend to scoff a little when I hear people say they pray for adversity in their life because I have yet to meet someone that said, "Hey, I was just diagnosed with [insert bad thing here]. I'm so glad the Lord answered my prayer for adversity." No, instead, they immediately turn around and beg for that bad thing to go away. So ... I do appreciate the adversity I have had in my life but in hindsight only. I don't enjoy it or feel particularly grateful when it's happening to me, and I certainly don't court it. I feel humbled. I feel grateful for the Lord. I'm not gonna lie - I want that bad thing to Go. Away.

In Acts, Paul was falsely accused, had false witnesses lined up against him, was imprisoned, was even bitten by a snake. He had a falling away with his good buddy, fellow disciple Barnabas, who had defended him when he first converted. Life was tough! However, he understood this concept of patience and hope, and it made him a better man.

Several years ago, I had one of the worst two years of my life because of a very bad work situation that lasted a very long time and bled into my personal life because I was so stressed and unhappy about the work situation. It was a lead ball that I dragged around with me even after I left work for the day. It was pretty horrible. However, Paul teaches:

tribulation =  patience
patience = experience
experience = hope

Therefore, tribulation ---> hope.

I saw this in action. A year after I left that terrible work situation, I ended up in another frustrating work situation, with colleagues that were also frustrated. We discussed our situation often and it was clear to me that while we were all frustrated, I seemed to be handling it a little better. I was mad but their morale was so low I saw it change their personalities - as had happened to me from my previous trial. These were smart colleagues that I greatly admire - how could I handle this any better than them?

I firmly believe that I had had enough of the same kind of tribulation that I had learned the tribulation -> patience -> experience -> hope aspect, at least for that specific troubling situation.

I hope you're following me. This is a very long ways of me trying to explain that for every tribulation we experience, we gain greater hope, and my testimony that I personally witnessed this to be true.

Hope, well ... it gives me hope. It makes the bad things I'm dreading ahead a little easier to process.

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." - Romans 8:28-29.

How does this apply to children?
Talk to the children about what it means to have faith like Paul in understanding that good things can come out of bad things (i.e., patience can come out of tribulation) and have children share songs that come to mind for them that talk about this. Or, go the opposite and have children choose slips of paper that have these songs written about this that help teach your point. You can either use hints to see if the children can guess the song and then sing it, or you can sing the song with children and ask them to identify what it has to do with learning about faith, patience, and hope from Paul in Romans.

Songs with sample hints/topic lines:

When I Am Baptized
"I can be forgiven and improve myself each day."

Faith
"Faith is trust in God above;
In Christ, who showed the way."

"Faith is strengthen; I feel it grow
Whenever I obey"

Nephi's Courage
"I will go; I will do the things the Lord commands.
I know the Lord provides a way."





















No comments:

Post a Comment