Sunday, January 10, 2021

Joseph Smith was a man of God. Like him, we can trust in the Lord.

Last week's scripture study from the new 2021 Come Follow Me manual, covered Joseph Smith History 1:1-26.

I want to talk about two themes in this week's scripture study today:

1. Turning to the Lord
2. Trusting God over man

Turning to the Lord
This year more than ever, I could feel the tension that Joseph Smith felt as a young boy, as people he was supposed to be able to look up to fought on all sides about what was right and what was truth. We feel that tension in the world right now as science clashes with politics over the pandemic, and we feel that in politics in general.

What felt most powerful to me as I read these scripture is that with all the voices telling Joseph Smith that they were "right," Joseph, at only fourteen years old, had the wisdom to know who to turn to for direction, the Lord. Joseph never wavered in trusting the Lord and turning to the Lord to find the truth. He read James 1:5 that reminded him that he could always ask of God, and he said:

"Never did any passage of scripture come with more power to the heart of man than this did at this time to mine. It seemed to enter with great force into every feeling of my heart. I reflected on it again and again." (Joseph Smith History 1:13)

This verse struck me strongly as I read it because I remember a moment earlier this year, when I turned to the scriptures with a prayerful desire for guidance and peace after a particular incident. I felt a deep flooding of love and reassurance from the Lord as I read Mosiah 23:25-29. This was just one of many experiences this year as I've sought to Hear Him

Joseph Smith prioritized the Lord in his quest for wisdom by turning first to scripture and then turning to prayer when he learned about prayer from the scriptures. 

This week as I was studying talks from the last General Conference I re-read M. Russell Ballard's talk, "Watch Ye Therefore, and Pray Always," and I looked up the references that are listed with his talk. I was very interested to see that in the footnote for this line, "I invite you to pray always," he referenced 12 sets of scripture (where in most cases, leaders stick to one footnote reference scripture at at time), and that of those 12 sets, 3 were from the Bible, 3 were from the Book of Mormon, and 6 were from the Doctrine and Covenants. *I have listed all of those scriptures at the bottom of this post. 

Of course, we know there are other references to praying throughout all of these scriptures but I did feel like it was telling that in our modern-day revelation the Lord placed an emphasis throughout the Doctrine and Covenants that we need to pray always, and that the pivotal moment in Joseph Smith's life, and in the restoration of the gospel, began when Joseph accepted the invitation to converse with the Lord in prayer. 

President Nelson has reminded us repeatedly that we need to seek personal revelation. 

In his General Conference address at the Women's session called "Embrace the Future with Faith," President Nelson said, "The Lord has promised that if we will ask, we may receive 'revelation upon revelation.' I promise that as you increase your capacity to receive revelation, the Lord will bless you with increased direction for your life and with boundless gifts of the Spirit." 

Trusting God over man

Later, when Joseph was stunned to see leaders of other churches join together to persecute him for his experience and his desire to share wisdom with others, he made this powerful statement:

"... Who am I that I can withstand God, or why does the world think to make me deny what I have actually seen? For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God, and come under condemnation." (Joseph Smith History 1:25)

In the General Conference address, "Let God Prevail," President Nelson reminds us "The Lord is gathering those who are willing to let God prevail in their lives. The Lord is gathering those who will choose to let God be the most important influence in our lives." 

We have to be careful not to let the most prominent leaders or news stations of our day drown out the voice of the Lord as he speaks to us through scriptures, our prophet, and inspired leaders at General Conference. In prioritizing the Lord and his commandments, we have the opportunity to push good out into the world.

In Doctrine and Covenants 6:36 the Lord tells Joseph, "Look unto me in every thought, doubt not, fear not." As we do, we can be lifted up. We can be true to what we know and we can focus on being like the Savior.

I bear my testimony that Joseph Smith restored the true gospel of God to this earth, that Jesus Christ came and lived among us and taught us by example, and that we have a living prophet, President Russell M. Nelson here today. 



*Elder Ballard's references to praying (as discussed above):

Luke 18:1–8

New Testament

And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;

Saying, There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man:

And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary.

And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man;

Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.

And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith.

And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?

I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

Luke 21:36

New Testament

36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

Ephesians 6:18

New Testament

18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

2 Nephi 32:9

Book of Mormon

But behold, I say unto you that ye must pray always, and not faint; that ye must not perform any thing unto the Lord save in the first place ye shall pray unto the Father in the name of Christ, that he will consecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the welfare of thy soul.

3 Nephi 18:15, 18–21

Book of Mormon

15 Verily, verily, I say unto you, ye must watch and pray always, lest ye be tempted by the devil, and ye be led away captive by him.

18 Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, ye must watch and pray always lest ye enter into temptation; for Satan desireth to have you, that he may sift you as wheat.

19 Therefore ye must always pray unto the Father in my name;

20 And whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you.

21 Pray in your families unto the Father, always in my name, that your wives and your children may be blessed.

Doctrine and Covenants 10:5

Doctrine and Covenants

Pray always, that you may come off conqueror; yea, that you may conquer Satan, and that you may escape the hands of the servants of Satan that do uphold his work.

Doctrine and Covenants 19:38

Doctrine and Covenants

38 Pray always, and I will pour out my Spirit upon you, and great shall be your blessing—yea, even more than if you should obtain treasures of earth and corruptibleness to the extent thereof.

Doctrine and Covenants 33:17

Doctrine and Covenants

17 Wherefore, be faithful, praying always, having your lamps trimmed and burning, and oil with you, that you may be ready at the coming of the Bridegroom

Doctrine and Covenants 61:39

Doctrine and Covenants

39 Pray always that you enter not into temptation, that you may abide the day of his coming, whether in life or in death. Even so. Amen.

Doctrine and Covenants 88:126

Doctrine and Covenants

126 Pray always, that ye may not faint, until I come. Behold, and lo, I will come quickly, and receive you unto myself. Amen.

Doctrine and Covenants 90:24

Doctrine and Covenants

24 Search diligentlypray always, and be believing, and all things shall work together for your good, if ye walk uprightly and remember the covenant wherewith ye have covenanted one with another.



No comments:

Post a Comment