Sunday, April 26, 2020

Leaders Labor with their Own Hands

I love being able to read about the history of the descendants of Nephi and some of the qualities that made them good and righteous leaders to their people and to their children. I learn so much from these great examples, and many of the leaders that we read about in the scriptures share similar sentiments.

In Mosiah 1:3, it says of King Benjamin, "And he also taught them concerning the records which were engraven on the plates of brass, saying, 'My sons, I would that ye should remember that were it not for these plates, which contain these records and these commandments, we must have suffered in ignorance, even at this present time, not knowing the mysteries of God."

Then, similar to the advice that our modern-day prophet President Thomas S. Monson in his last public address, King Benjamin says in Mosiah 1:7, "And now, my sons, I would that ye should remember to search them diligently, that ye may profit thereby; and I would that ye should keep the commandments of God, that ye may prosper in the land according to the promises which the Lord made unto our fathers."

You can click to enlarge the below chart. I've put together three examples of great leadership from recent scriptures, from three great leaders. Note that in each example, the leaders worked for what they had, and for the common good. I love that King Mosiah, the son of King Benjamin, had learned from his father that it was important to serve others and become "not burdensome to his people,"




No comments:

Post a Comment