Sunday, October 18, 2020

We are ALL Children of the Covenant: 3 Nephi 20-26

Today's Come Follow Me Study was called, "Ye are Children of the Covenant" and covers 3 Nephi 20-26. That sounds a little exclusive but we learn in 3 Nephi 20:25-27 that, as the Individuals and Families manual explains, "anyone who is baptized and makes covenants with His is also of the house of Israel," and therefore, can have the same blessings, "no matter who you descend from or where you live. In other words, when Jesus speaks to the house of Israel, He is talking about you."

In the October 2020 talk "Eyes to See," Michelle D. Craig stated, "Jesus Christ sees people deeply. He sees individuals, their needs, and who they can become. Where others saw fishermen, sinners, or publicans, Jesus saw disciples; where others saw a man possessed by devils, Jesus looked past the outward distress, acknowledged the man, and healed him."

In the October 2020 talk "Hearts Knit in Righteousness and Unity," Quentin L. Cook stated, "With our all-inclusive doctrine, we can be an oasis of unity and celebrate diversity. Unity and diversity are not opposites. We can achieve greater unity as we foster an atmosphere of inclusion and respect for diversity. … The Savior’s ministry and message have consistently declared all races and colors are children of God. We are all brothers and sisters."

What scriptures stuck out for you as you studied? Here are a few that really spoke to me this time with a quick comment about each:

3 Nephi 20:1 "... And he commanded them that they should not cease to pray in their hearts."

We are constantly reminded that we can and should pray always, that this pathway is open for all to communicate with our Father in Heaven, that prayers are not reserved only for times of trial. However, I felt it was also very powerful that in the October 2020 talk, "Watch Ye Therefore, and Pray Always," M. Russell Ballard said, "During the past few months I have had the impression come to me that the best way to help the current world situation is for all people to rely more fully upon God and to turn their hearts to Him through sincere prayer. Humbling ourselves and seeking heaven's inspiration to endure or conquer what is before us will be our safest and surest way to move confidently forward through these troubling times."

3 Nephi 21:8 "And when that day shall come, it shall come to pass that kings shall shut their mouths; for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they not heard shall they consider."

There is so much more in the world to come, so much more faith to give, and so many more miracles that will occur, so great that even kings "shall shut their mouths," I believe, in amazement. 

3 Nephi 22:7 "For a small moment have I forsaken thee, but with great mercies will I gather thee."

Our Lord will never forsake us, though it may feel like it sometimes. Later, in 3 Nephi 26:11, he says, "I will try the faith of my people." In General Conference 2020, in the talk, "God Will Do Something Unimaginable," Dieter F. Uchtdorf says, "In a way, we are seeds. And for seeds to reach their potential, they must be buried before they can sprout. It is my witness that though at times we may feel buried by the trials of life or surrounded by emotional darkness, the love of God and the blessings of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ will bring something unimaginable to spring forth."

3 Nephi 22:10-11 "For the mountains shall depart and the hills be removed, but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of any peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee. O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted! Behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colors, and lay thy foundations with sapphires."

I was especially touched by this scripture as I thought about a world where I am seeing a war between those that are prideful and selfish and teaching this behavior to others in leadership roles, and those that are striving to be kind and Christlike. The footnote for this scripture explains that "kindness" here means "Israel, blessings of." This covenant is available for anyone that wants it, for our Lord is merciful.

3 Nephi 23:1 "And now, behold, I say unto you, that ye ought to search these things. Yea, a commandment I give unto you that ye search these things diligently; for great are the words of Isaiah."

I think about leaders like Henry B. Eyring, who has read the scriptures every day for many decades, on repeat, and is constantly learning new things from the scriptures. It was the Savior himself who told us to search the scriptures diligently. 

3 Nephi 23:7-14 - "And it came to pass that he said unto Nephi; Bring forth the record which ye have kept ... Verily I say unto you, I commanded my servant Samuel, the Lamanite, that he should testify unto this people, that at the day that the Father should glorify his name in me ... ... And Jesus said unto them; How be it that ye have not written this thing, that many saints did arise and appear unto many did minister unto them?

I have paid special attention this time through reading the Book of Mormon to see how keeping records is important, and what kind of records are important, not petty lists of grievances but what you want to teach your posterity. In the Book of Mormon, there are frequently spans of 100s of years where nothing in the history is recorded, and times where a prophet writes that they are only touching on a small piece of what has happened. Samuel the Lamanite is a well-known and much beloved story for children that grow up reading the Book of Mormon, and we almost didn't have this story. The Savior himself had to ask, essentially "why has this not been recorded?" It makes me especially grateful for what we have, but also thoughtful about what I want to make sure to record.

3 Nephi 24:5-6 "... and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers ... and against those that oppress ... and fear not me, saith the Lord of Hosts. ... For I am the Lord, I change not."

While I am seeing a lot of good in the world today, I have also been extremely concerned about what I see as a rise of evil powers/practices and people that are believing in them a little too readily. This scripture gives me assurance that the Lord changes not and in the long run, the righteous will be able to overcome.

3 Nephi 25:1 "For behold, the day cometh that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble; and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of Hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch. But unto you that fear my name, shall the Son of Righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth and grow up as calves in the stall."

Today feels a bit like a literal and metaphorical burning as I can hear the helicopters and airplanes overhead working to put out a fire in the canyon nearby our home, and I can see the impact of Covid-19 and other stressors in lives around the world. While, as Uchtdorf said, "things might get worse before they get better," I am grateful for the reassurance that "the Son of Righteousness" shall "arise with healing in his wings."

In the same talk I referenced above, Uchtorf says, "Focus on the things you can do and not on the things you cannot do. You muster your faith. And you listen for the guiding word of the Lord and His prophet to lead you to safety."

I'm so grateful for the scriptures, the treasure box full of wisdom and comfort that they give me every time I open and read with an open mind and willingness to learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment