Sunday, September 15, 2019

Come Follow Me for Sunday School: 1 Corinthians 14-16, 2 Corinthians 1-7

I taught in adult Sunday School today. It's my nature to research deeply on a topic that interests me, and take notes, so don't think I'm too crazy but I had 63 slides for today's lesson. Obviously, I didn't use every slide because that would mean spending less than a minute per slide during class. I also didn't read every item on every slide. I like to jump around and bring up relevant slides, and highlight something that is on the slide to encourage class discussion, so that we are edifying each other. The slides are a supplement to the discussion, not the focal point. So ... for those that were in my class and wanted to read more deeply what was actually on each slide, I've picked 11 out of 63 slides to share today. For those that aren't in my class, enjoy! I wish I could share all the wonderful comments and insights that really make the class.

These slides give some background on Paul and Joseph, and the context of writing to the people in Corinth (the more you understand about the writer of Corinthians, Paul, and what the people and city were like, the more you can understand his complex writing style):





Here are some of the topics that we discussed from 1 Corinthians 14-16 (we can and should edify each other, we can comfort our loved ones by teaching about the resurrection):






Here are some of our discussion topics from 2 Corinthians 1-7 (our trials can strengthen and bless us, we can forgive, godly sorrow is a blessing that leads to repentance and the healing power of the atonement):



I shared a video called "My Burden was Made Light" but only around the 3.40 minute mark to about the 6 minute mark: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/media-library/video/2010-07-14-forgiveness-my-burden-was-made-light?lang=eng because I thought it really helped give a valuable perspective on forgiveness, that this man, who had half of his family killed by a drunk driver, forgave because the atonement of Christ allowed him to and gave him the strength to forgive, and he wanted that so he could move on with his two surviving sons. 

I used two sources to make the below slide. The green circles are from the second source. Everything else is from President Uchtdorf's 2013 talk.



No comments:

Post a Comment