Saturday, November 2, 2013

Free Time: The Two Months of Sundays Between the Singing Time Program and the New Year

We had our primary program last week, and it was beautiful, amazing, and wonderful. I am so grateful to an amazing primary presidency, her wonderful and supportive counselors, two talented and supportive primary pianists, the teachers, and the parents and siblings who have all been a part of helping to teach these thoughtful, loving children. I absolutely love all of them.

I've had so many ideas brewing about the next two months.

I have an annual Thanksgiving Singing Time that the children LOVE and that is probably my personal favorite, and some other holiday-themed singing times planned. I also want to teach the children two songs to sing in the Christmas program so that means that I need to plan wisely so that I'm not trying to teach two songs at the last minute.

I have already discussed the Christmas Program with our amazing Ward Music Leader. She asked me what songs I had in mind, then was pleased to tell me that one of the songs I had picked in particular fit perfectly into the narration and spot in the program that she had been considering! Wahoo!

To decide, I went through every song in the Children's Songbook, reviewing both the tune and the lyrics. There are way too many excellent Christmas songs in there to even consider looking elsewhere. I narrowed it down to six, eliminating ones I have done in the past because once again, there are way too many amazing songs to become fixated on the same song.

The next day, one of the songs that had been fourth on my list kept coming into my mind all day. I chose that as one of my two songs, and I'm so excited to teach it!!

The two songs I have tentatively selected:

Sleep Little Jesus

Lyrics

  1. 1. Sleep, little Jesus, Lord of the earth.
    Angels are telling the news of thy birth.
    Shepherds will come to thee, bringing thee love.
    Bright shines the star in heaven above.
  2. 2. "Sleep, little Jesus," softly we sing.
    Earth long has waited her Savior and King.
    Heavenly hosts sing, "Alleluia,
    Peace to all men, Alleluia!"
  3. Words: Mabel Jones Gabbott, 1910-2004. (c) 1981 IRI
    Music: Michael Finlinson Moody, b. 1941. (c) 1981 IRI

I expect this one may be a little to teach because it's not as intuitive. Too many similar words in a row. Challenged accepted ... ha ha. More to come.

Stars Were Gleaming

Lyrics

  1. 1. Stars were gleaming, shepherds dreaming;
    And the night was dark and chill.
    Angels' story rang with glory;
    Shepherds heard it on the hill.
    Ah, that singing! Hear it ringing,
    Earthward winging, Christmas bringing!
    Hearken! We can hear it still!
  2. 2. See the clearness and the nearness
    Of the blessed Christmas star,
    Leading, guiding; wise men riding
    Through the desert dark and far.
    Lovely showing, shining, growing,
    Onward going, gleaming, glowing,
    Leading still, our Christmas star!
  3. Words: Nancy Byrd Turner, 1880-1971
    Music: Polish carol; arr. by Darwin Wolford, b. 1936
    Words (c) 1930 by Presbyterian Board of Christian Education; renewed 1958; from Hymns for Primary Worship. Used by permission of Westminster/John Knox Press. Arr. (c) 1989 IRI

I am working on a flip chart for "Sleep, Little Jesus," coming soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment